Information for Staff
Information for Staff
The Gatsby Benchmarks are a set of 8 guidelines that define the best careers provision in schools
and colleges. The government has directed schools to work towards achieving 100% against the
benchmarks by 2020. We have support from an Enterprise Coordinator from Bridge GM at GMCA
(Greater Manchester Combined Authority) and an Enterprise Advisor from a local business.
- Enterprise Coordinator – Bronwyn Raper. Email: Bronwyn.Raper@greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk
- Enterprise Advisor – Tony Nugent, Anthony K Associates. Email: email@example.com
The 8 Gatsby Benchmarks are listed below. In order to achieve these and to ensure we have a
strategic and sustainable careers programme it is vital that all staff are involved. This includes you as
a form teacher and subject teacher.
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
What can I do to support Careers as a teacher/form teacher?
At Cardinal Langley RC High School and 6th Form, we deliver careers through our Pastoral Programme (including Drop Down
Days) and across subjects. Below are some simple ways that you can link your curriculum to careers
and you probably already do this!
- Discuss pathways with your subject, and how it could be taken further at Post 16, degree level or through an apprenticeship, discussing the careers and jobs it could lead to
- Create a departmental “Careers” display to show routes, and progression in your subject
- Create a poster to show Courses and Apprenticeships in Your subject
- Create a display in your room to show why your subject is vital for careers and the world of work 5. Invite a guest speaker from the one of our local colleges or universities to
- promote and raise aspirations
- Invite a local Business employee/employer to discuss how they use your subject in the workplace
- Arrange a visit to a workplace related to your subject area.
Please speak to your nominated Careers Champion in your department to find out what you are currently doing to help meet the Gatsby Benchmarks.
Careers education is a team effort and the responsibility of all teaching and pastoral staff. There is a
range of resources and examples of curriculum projects available here. You can also speak to the
school’s Careers Leader, Enterprise Coordinator and/or Enterprise Adviser for more information and